Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Just so you know

I am leaving for Ghana tomorrow from Indianapolis at about 10:30. I have a connecting flight in New York at JFK and then straight to Accra, Ghana!
I am going with my school, Utah Valley University as a study abroad program. There are about 15-20 people in my group and most of us are Community Health majors.
The purpose of our trip is to teach HIV/AIDS prevention. This is a service learning trip so we will be teaching during the week and we will get to travel and tour the cities and attractions on the weekends. We will be teaching all age groups about AIDS and about lessons we have come up with ourselves. Things like staying hydrated and geography. We will also have the opportunity to educate orphans and womens groups about staying healthy.
I will be in Africa for about 5 weeks. I return on August 2nd. I hope that I have everything ready but I guess you cannot be completely prepared to go to Africa.
I am really excited but nervous tonight. I know that going will be a great life experience.
My next post should come from Ghana, I am on my way!

2 comments:

  1. Yay!!! don't be scared. leaving the country is freakin fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val--I AM SOOOOO PROUD OF YOU!! What a great decision and use of your summer. Spencer did some volunteer work in Ghana when he was in college and loved it and still talks about it. GOOD LUCK! And be safe!

    ReplyDelete