Sunday, July 26, 2009

Monkey Sanctuary

This weekend we only drove about 4 hours to a small village on the outside of town. We dropped off our stuff and then drove about an hour to the start of our hike. We kiked to the base of a huge waterfall and we got to swim at the bottom of it. It was the coolest thing I have ever done! The water was freezing and we were drenched just from standing close to the splashing. There were bats along the cliff and some of them woek and flew around in circles way above our heads. It was awesome. Everything was so green and the trees and mountain looked like something out of a book.
That night we stayed in the village with the people who lived there. We ate dinner outside under a roof made of branches. We had rice with some mystery meat sauce and boiled eggs. There was also fruit and spagetti. It wasnt bad, I had seconds :) But maybe I am just more used to the food now. It was dark by then and the villagers took us for entertainment. They had plastic chairs set up and a boy started a fire in the middle in the dirt. Then an old man told us stories and the boy translated. The old man also played his flute for us. During the stories, the girls in the village braided our hair. After stories, they played drums and danced in circles around the fire until it went out. We got to join them in the circle and dance for a little bit. It was so cool. This went on for at least a couple of hours, they just kept going. They were singing and clapping. A few of the kids did their own little dance around the fire for us. I had so much fun, I loved it.
About 8 of us were able to sleep in the village in homes and the rest of my group was in the "compound" Which was just a group of buildings with rooms in them. I slept in someones house. They were out of town or something, they werent there that night. Jenny and I slept on a bed with one sheet that we layed on. We had no covers but I dont think we needed them and we got lucky and had a mosquito net. There were 2 ceiling fans in the other room but not in our bedroom. We couldnt open the windows because wewere told it wasnt safe. It was stifiling in that room. I slept in jeans to protect my legs from bugs and I did have socks on but I couldnt keep them on haha I thought I would die. We just layed there sweating all night. I did sleep though. I think I woke up every time I moved but the night didnt seem too long. Good thing :)
In the morning we woke early and had breakfast at 7am. It was bread and porrage. (spelling?) The bread was really good and sweet so I had like 3 pieces. The porrage was pretty bland. Could have used some sugar or something on it :) But we ate it. We got ready to go on another hike that was harder and more steep than our last one but it started pouring rain. It was flooding, it looked like a monsoon. They said that wasnt even bad, that they have had worse. haha crazy people. Our hike was cancelled because we didnt want anyone falling down the cliff. We headed back to Accra and stoped at a resort along the way and went on a boat ride in a lake. It was less than $20 for about 15 of us to go and it was worth it. We were all very tired so we didnt look that excited haha but it was fun.
We went to dinner after we got back to Accra and cleaned up. Rhapsody :) I shared a big bowl of pasta. Today was my last day going to church here. It was stake conference and they changed the boundaries and got new bishops for new branches being formed. It was really neat to be there and listen to all of the new bishops talk.
I leave a week from today! This week we are teaching at the school and teaching AIDS to a girl/boy scout group. Im excited to see my kids at school. Im going to try and post pictures today because we arent doing anything. Im need to get caught up in class with the reading and journals so thats what ill be doing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment